All statements were self-reported to CHMI through a survey mechanism. Click Here to learn more about this initiative and see a full list of results categories and definitions.
* salaUno offers cataract surgery at one third of the market price, charging USD $550, compared to the USD $1,650 average market price. The nearest competitor, who is subsidized by the government, charges USD $1,100.
* According to a patients’ survey, 40% of salaUno’s patients cover their health costs with out-of-pocket expenditures. Hence, the 574 cataract surgeries that have been performed for paying patients have given them an extra income of USD $483k altogether. This calculation is done in the following way: USD $1,650 (Market Average Price)-USD$808 (salaUno’s Historical Average Price)]* 574 (Number of Cataract Surgeries)= USD$ 483,000.
* salaUno has an alliance with an NGO who pays a subsidized price in order to offer cataract surgeries for patients in extreme poverty. Thus, 64% of the cataract surgeries have been free of cost to the patients.
* The surgery complication rate has decreased 587 basis points from September 2011 to May 2012. The complication rate is now below the UK National Survey, which is 5.9%.
* Overall, 97.7% of our patients say they would recommend salaUno. Additionally, our average score on patient care and service is 9 (4.5 out of 5).
* Implementation of innovative marketing strategies has increased the surgery uptake (or counseling efficiency). The number of patients with cataracts that went into surgery increased from 11% (of 100) in August 2011 (first month of operations) to 44% (of 100) in June 2012.
* salaUno has been profitable since the 2nd month of operations, achieving positive EBITDA and Cash Flow.
* SalaUno doctors perform 5 times more surgeries per week than the average doctor in Mexico thanks to the ease of the SICS.
* In June 2012, salaUno reduced its consultation waiting time by 37% compared to its highest point. This was achieved by applying Toyota Production Systems Principles to the patient flow.
Contact Us to add or edit your results.