Hope for African Children Initiative (HACI)
Country of Operation
SummaryThe Hope for African children Initiative (HACI) is an innovative response that addresses the entire child-focused prevention-care-mitigation continuum with mutually reinforcing program strategies.
To strengthen the capacity of African communities to advocate, care for and support children impacted by HIV/AIDS and prevent further spread of HIV; improve orphans and other vulnerable children's welfare by increasing access to education, adequate food, psychosocial support, basic health services, and legal rights, and to catalyze a global partnership to expand the resources available to achieve these goals.
Key program components
HACI program activities in its countries of operation include:
- Creating awareness and reducing the stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS
- Extending the parent-child relationship (e.g. encouraging early treatment of opportunistic infections)
- Psychological support through encouraging positive living and preparing families for the transitions involved when dealing with HIV/AIDS (e.g. providing counseling and economic support)
- Ensuring the future of vulnerable children by providing access to basic education, life skills and health
- Providing children nutritional support and educational support such as school dues and supplies, adolescent reproductive health and advocacy
HACI also aggressively works on capacity building of local NGOs and community-based organizations through training, financial, and technical assistance/support that boosts their service delivery; by equipping them with local resource mobilization skills and expanding their reach; and through addressing their issues regarding sustainability.