LifeCircle Senior Services
LifeCircle Senior Services
For-profitYear launched: 2013
Country of Operation
Target income level
- Bottom 20%
- Lower-middle income (20-40%)
- Middle-income (40-60%)
- Higher middle-income (60-80%)
- Noncommunicable disease(s)
- Pharmacy services
- Primary care
- Rehabilitative care
SummaryLifeCircle Senior Services provides subscription based home nursing services to senior citizens in India. Our teams, composed of nurses and caregivers provide hourly to daily medical and nursing care (vitals, injection, dressing, hygiene) depending on the senior’s needs.
India’s Senior Citizen population of 103 million is currently the second largest in the world. Almost half (47%) of the seniors have at least one chronic disease such as asthma, heart disease, arthritis, depression or diabetes The Current medical system caters to episodic health needs, at a high cost, is fragmented and fails seniors who are bed ridden, terminally ill or have complex care needs.
The Goal of the program is to provide subscription based home nursing and caregiver services to seniors who can not access traditional medical system, reaching out to both paying and BoP seniors, thereby improving the quality of life of seniors and their family members.
Key program components
LifeCircle business model is based on the revenues generated by the Nursing & Professional services offered to paying patients. Paying patients have to enroll and pay monthly fees to get the service. Additional revenue is generated through sale of medicines, disposables and diagnostics. Revenue from business and grants from donors allows LifeCircle to offer services to poor patients for free.
- Systematic targeting of seniors who are bed ridden, terminally ill or have complex care needs - Patients are referred through partner organizations like hospitals, specialized institutions (dementia care/palliative care) and NGOs working with seniors. Life Circle also conducts health camps in residential areas, senior citizen clubs to spread awareness about the program. Word of mouth from existing patients are also leveraged to get new patients. To reach out to younger family members of the seniors we also use google adword and Facebook. The poor patients are selected and identified by networking with hospitals, social media and old age homes run by the NGOs.
- Assessment & Care plan development - Using a standardized questionnaire during a home visit, the LifeCircle nurse conducts interview to assess the patients’ medical, functional cognitive and environmental status. Based on detailed assessment that lists medical and behavioral plans for managing and monitoring the patient, a Patient Care Plan is prepared. The plan is kept at home to remind the Caregiver & patient to take medications, observe dietary restrictions, participate in appropriate physical activity, monitor physiological parameters such as weight and blood pressure, and follow up with health professionals on schedule. The Action Plan also denotes symptoms and situations (i.e., red flags) that should prompt the patient or caregiver to call the nurse’s cellular phone or go to the local hospital’s emergency department.
- Home Nursing & Caregiver provision- Life Circle offers the assistance of Professional Caregiver to Patients with functional impairment or difficulty performing daily tasks. These Caregivers operate under the guidance of LifeCircle Nurse. LifeCircle nurse makes periodic visits to patients for vital collection, monitoring and guiding the Caregiver. Depending on the need of the patient, the nurse would also provide injection, Catheter care and wound dressings.
- Monitoring, Guidance &Training - With periodic reminders generated by the health information system, the LifeCircle nurse monitors each patient proactively, by telephone and personal visit, to evaluate adherence to the Patient Care Plan and to detect and address emerging problems promptly.
- Building Partnering- With supportive services providers like medical specialists, diagnostics chains, pharmacy outlets, medical equipment leasing, LifeCircle is based on a holistic approach of the social issue addressed.
Revenue Sources: Membership/subscription fees
By: Rachel Neill and Cynthia Charchi
- Inddoc Health Services Pvt. Ltd.For-profit