Reagent rental agreements for diagnostic services
Country of Operation
SummaryIntroduce reagent rental agreements between private sector companies and MoH to include transport, maintenance and upgrade of lab equipment, as well as training of lab personnel.
Key program components
Becton Dickinson, a global medical technology company manufactures and sells a broad range of medical supplies and devices, laboratory equipment and diagnostic products, has introduced reagent rental agreements with the MoH in Mozambique.
- These agreements include transport, preventative maintenance and upgrading of the laboratory equipment they sell as well as training of the lab personnel. As a result, maintenance and transport is no longer a preoccupation of the MoH.
- A driving factor behind BD’s decision to change their contracting formats was the realization that of the machines do work, they don’t sell the reagents to the labs.
- Provision of this service is done through private sector vendors (exclusive representatives) in countries where BD not have an office; BD trains the vendors in all aspects of maintenance so that the vendors can be competitive using this approach.
- Allow laboratories and MoH to avoid the tremendous capital outlay associated with the purchase of new instruments
- With the average contract lasting between 3 and 5 years, it allows laboratories to keep up with the latest advancements in diagnostics technology since when a contract has expired, laboratories get older equipment replaced with new instruments that offer them more updated technology
- Improved health service provision through constant access to well-functioning equipment
- Savings for the laboratory in terms of service/maintenance expenses