Red Segura Guatemala
Country of Operation
- PSI/Pan American Social Marketing Organization (PASMO)Not-for-profit
SummaryRed Segura partners with health care providers in the private sector to deliver accessible, high-quality family planning services to low-income youth and women of Guatemala.
Key program components
Red Segura offers well-trained and certified providers of various forms of family planning to the public of Guatemala. The forms of contraception include oral contraceptives, male condoms, female condoms, copper T, as well as implants. In addition to providing FP and counseling, community health workers are also responsible for promotion, home visits and referrals.
54 full-time in-country staff directly support this process. Quality assurance and performance monitoring methods include:
- Site/medical audits by master trainers (1/year)
- Inspections/observations (7/year)
- External audits (9 sites overall)
- Client exit interviews and quantitative assessments of provider knowledge (1/2 years)
- Franchise performance benchmarking (1/year)
- Sales visits (7/year).
The program reports that its clinical audit checklist is the most useful tool to gauge service quality, as it allows the medical auditor to identify weaker areas in performance and develop site-specific recommendations for improvement. Monthly reports are also noted as useful for facilitating supervision from the central level.
More than 11,600 visits were made to clinics in 2012.