Innovations in Healthcare is excited to kick off this year's search for the best healthcare innovators worldwide!
Our current network includes 67 innovators operating in 49 countries and serving over 7 million people. Spanning the full range of health care delivery – from rural and urban clinics, specialty hospitals, anti-counterfeiting devices, telemedicine technologies and safe birthing kits – our innovators have a reputation for excellence.
What makes our network so special? Last year’s cohort of innovators included organizations working around the world that are providing care in the right places, at the right prices and with the right partners. Some of last year’s selected innovators included:
- Health City Cayman Islands, a medically advanced tertiary hospital that is working to provide more affordable surgical care to patients in the Caribbean, the US, Canada and Latin America.
- AccuHealth, a tele-monitoring company in Chile that uses data to predict and prevent complications from chronic diseases, ultimately saving both patients and health systems money.
- PurpleSource, a company in Nigeria that is working to elevate the quality of existing clinics in Lagos and link care across the healthcare system.
- Microclinic International, an organization that uses a “train-the-trainer” model to lead community groups that meet to learn about healthy behaviors, manage and monitor their health, and engage in social activities.
- access.mobile, a digital health company operating in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Nigeria, and Ghana that digitizes patient records into a light patient management system and automates communication with patients via SMS, email, and smartphone notifications.
- WiserCare, a company that has created a platform to help physicians and patients make customized treatment decisions through an online survey platform that uses an individual’s clinical information and survey responses to determine best-fit treatment options.
Innovations in Healthcare offers entrepreneurs a passport to new opportunities, information and connections. We connect our innovators to the people, organizations, and information they need to strengthen their organizations and scale up their and ultimately help expand access to quality, affordable healthcare. These connections might involve matching up our innovators with academic resources such as the Duke Global Health Institute’s Evidence Lab or even student intern support to assist with evaluation or business planning. It might be a targeted introduction to a corporate leader, fellow innovator or funder. It might be a chance to pitch your business model to a group of investors at our Annual Forum. We have strategic research partnerships to explore transferring models from one country to another and routinely find opportunities to showcase our innovators in events held throughout the world. We also study and help innovators think through fundraising strategies.
Innovations in Healthcare selects organizations to join the network based on three main criteria:
- Innovative Approach: Does the organization address critical health needs and provide significant improvements in cost, quality and/or access to health services?
- Readiness to Scale: Is the organization past the pilot stage and poised and prepared to expand. (Already have paying customers.)
- Sustainability: Does the organization have a financially sustainable business model or a serious commitment to becoming sustainable.
Our innovators include both for-profit and non-profit organizations. This year we are looking to grow our network to include companies working in some of the geographies and health care areas listed below:
- Geographies of Focus: Brazil, Eastern, Southern and Western Africa, Southeast Asia, India, and Mexico
- Type of Care Focus: population health management, chronic management for non-communicable diseases (especially as connected with primary care), healthcare financing models
Membership in our network is free. We were founded by Duke Medicine, the World Economic Forum and McKinsey and Company in 2011 and are financially supported by corporate sponsors and foundations. Innovators are at the heart of our mission to increase access to quality, affordable health care around the world and we believe that by supporting our innovators, we are helping to strengthen health delivery everywhere.
More information about what it means to be in our network and how to apply can be found here. Please e-mail Logan Couce at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. To get straight to nominating your organization or an organization you think we should consider, please go here.
The deadline for nominations is September 16th, 2016. Finalists will be notified Oct. 1st to submit a full application. Those organizations selected to join Innovations in Healthcare will be notified in mid-December.