Action for Community Development (ACODEV)
Country of Operation
- Maternal, newborn and child health
SummaryAction for Community Development is a Uganda-based non-governmental organization working to employ innovative solutions in the areas of human rights, HIV/AIDS, reproductive and child health, and systems strengthening in Eastern Africa.
To serve and empower communities in East and Southern Africa through the promotion of innovative solutions in the areas of human rights, HIV/AIDS, and reproductive and child health, and institutional capacity strengthening.
Key program components
ACODEV employs a five-pronged strategic approach to all operations:
1. Research and Policy Analysis: ACODEV designs and conducts participatory community assessments, research and evaluations pertaining to all program areas. Findings are disseminated and used to identify policy gaps and inform policy development.
2. Raising Awareness: ACODEV works to raise community awareness and enlightenment in program areas to increase knowledge, civic competency, and community responsiveness.
3. Advocacy: ACODEC facilitates effective and participatory community activism in order to increase demand for social services and mechanism of accountability.
4. Systems Strengthening: ACODEV builds the capacity of structures at all levels of society in order to increase their responsiveness and effectiveness in addressing the needs of the communities.
5. Partnership Development: ACODEV promotes partnership development with relevant government sectors, ministries, and other development actors in strengthening effective, coordinated implementation and support in program areas.
Key Program Areas:
HIV Prevention and Mitigation Program (HIPMAP): Through a combination prevention approach, ACODEV is working to prevent and reduce HIV through behavior change strategies, increasing access to HCT services, and referrals for other biomedical services and care.
Reproductive and Child Health Program: ACODEV is employing community based approaches and health care system strengthening to address Maternal and Child Health challenges. The program promotes access to family planning and the Focused Antenatal Care Yield (FANCY) approach to make pregnancy a safe and satisfying experience. It works to strengthen community referral system and birth preparedness capacity of communities. Additionally, the program is working to increase access to youth friendly reproductive health information and services, and advocates for an improved policy environment of adolescent health services at all levels.