Boticas Similares (BOSI)
Country of Operation
Target income level
- Bottom 20%
- Pharmacy services
SummaryBOSI is adapted from the TISA Guatemala model, and works to improve health by expanding access to essential medicines in rural Mexican communities. The network is managed by Farmacias Similares but stores are owned and operated by community residents who receive training, financing and support.
Although Mexico has made progress toward universal health coverage, significant gaps in access to healthcare and essential medicine and health products remain. Medicines are sparse or unavailable and often expensive in poor, marginalized communities. Initial market research in the state of Puebla confirmed that many communities could likely benefit from a small but affordable, well-stocked and well-staffed medicine store. The goals of Boticas Similares (BOSI) program are to improve access to medicine and health products in marginalized areas in a sustainable way, generate income opportunities for community residents (especially women), and create business value for the corporate partner.
Key program components
TISA follows a microfranchise model and each franchisee owns a health store business. They pay a small franchise fee in exchange for ongoing training, access to discounted inventory and ongoing support. TISA not only creates a chance for business ownership, it also helps keep money in the local community. The key components are:
(1) Trained BOSI store owners that can successfully and responsibly sell medication and other related health products.
(2) High quality, low cost generics, made available directly to the franchisee.
(3) A financial institution partner that provides low interest micro loans to the franchisees to finance startup and inventory costs.
(4) A private sector partner, Farmacias Similares, which is managing a pilot of the BOSI model and hopes to scale throughout Mexico.
(5) A trusted NGO partner, Mercy Corps, created and implemented the TISA Guatemala model, and now provides technical assistance to BOSI as it gets up and running.
(6) Catalytic Philanthropy, provided by Linked Foundation, to support technical assistance, training development, technology piloting and monitoring and evaluation.
- Farmacias SimilaresFor-profit