Flying for Life
Flying for Life
Not-for-profitYear launched: 2011
Country of Operation
Target income level
- Bottom 20%
- Eye care
- Primary care
SummaryFlying for life seeks to use air transport in order to provide sustainable community development solutions through our partnerships with NPOs, doctors, Early Childhood Development (ECD) specialists and other professionals
Flying for Life is an organization that enables communities to access medical professionals, medical supplies, early childhood development trainers, social workers, and other NPO's in remote communities where health facilities are far and are costly to reach.
Our goal is to improve challenges identified by communities by providing the services needed in order to alliviate costs to and loss of life that could be prevented through screening or a consultation.
Key program components
20 years into South Africa’s democracy there are a number of communities that struggle to access facilities due to poor infrastructure, rural communities are especially affected by this, and accessing these services can be too costly for them.
Flying for life seeks to bridge this gap by consulting communities and stakeholders within these spaces to assess the needs of the community.
Following this, Flying for Life seeks out partners who would best cater to a communities needs be it in healthcare or childhood development or cancer awareness.
Flying for Life not only provides transportation but it is responsible for the logistics, communication and research.
Currently healthcare projects run by Flying for Life include:
- Eye Doctor Clinics : Where cataract surgeries performed and patients get to consult optometrists
- GP Visits: Doctors go around to visiting all the clinics as they are a great distance apart in a shorter period and are able to see more patients.
- Dentistry: Dentists and oral hygienists consult with patients with a particular focus of children in the Vembe district in Limpopo.
- Cancer awareness with CHOC
- Mission Aviation FellowshipNot-for-profitForeign aid agency or multilateral organization