Country of Operation
SummaryUplift Mutuals is a pioneer in community-owned health micro insurance schemes with over 200000 and more lives covered across eight locations in India.Being a mutual model Uplift designs and develops a robust community owned health risk management model that incorporates an ecosystem approach to build access to quality healthcare and preventive services in addition to insurance.
To reduce out of pocket expenses on hospitalization expenses by low income families Improve health seeking behaviour by creating access to quality care at affordable rates Improve health behaviour through a range of preventive and promotive health awareness programmes Provide organized primary care that forms majority of out of pocket expenses done by families on health
Key program components
Born out of the health protection needs of self help group women in 2003, the Uplift model has served over 200000 lives in India across eight locations in India. Uplift proposes communities not to “transfer their risks” to insurers but "to share" them by setting up decentralized mutual funds in order to offer not only “community owned,” transparent governance but also the responsibility of the insured communities in managing its claims and providing social protection services. This process provides accountability in the supply chain, and smoothens the financial shock that such an expense creates for a family.
The target population is the informal sector in general. So far the health protection sustainably managed by communities gives an enriched cover for hospitalizations up to 15000 rs at a yearly cost of 100-120rs /person / year with NO AGE LIMIT. Under this Uplift has designed the following services for its members:
- ALL BE WELL Health Hubs-OPD with basic medicines -first line of medical advice that acts as gate keeping mechanism
- 24X7 Helpline managed by medical staff - for getting guidance to the nearest medical facility,especially in emergencies
- Health Talks - to be able to understand the onset of a disease identify symptoms and seek early medical advice/treatment
- Health Campaigns - focusing on a critical health issue affecting the community at large targeted more at awareness and behavioral change
- Health Camps - demand based preventive check ups and curative followups
- Referral Guidance and Followup - Localized guidance provided by regularly trained field workers available at the community level for accessing health care and followup of usage
- Network of Multi-layered Health Care Providers - Empanelment of Health Care providers based on member feedback and Uplift's due diligence involvinh general practitioners,maternity clinics, Labs,radiological centres, drug stores ,Super and Multi-speciality Hospitals for quality treatment at rationalized rates.